Amelia Island Lighthouse

image

Amelia Island Lighthouse

image

Amelia Island Lighthouse

The Amelia Island Light is the oldest existing lighthouse in the state of Florida in the United States. It is located near the northern end of Amelia Island in the northeastern part of the state. Its light marks St. Marys Entrance, the inlet leading to St. Marys River, the Cumberland Sound and the harbor of Fernandina Beach, Florida along the Amelia River.
The lighthouse was built in 1838 using materials taken from the former Little Cumberland Island Light on Cumberland Island in Georgia just north of the inlet, which was built in 1820. The brick tower was originally 50 feet tall placed on a hill. In 1881, a lantern was installed on the tower increasing the tower height to 64 feet with the focal plane height of 107 feet above see level.
The ownership of the lighthouse was transferred from the United States Coast Guard to the City of Fernandina Beach in 2001, which now maintains the historical monument. The Coast Guard, though, is still responsible for the function of the beacon.

wikipedia

Location:
310 Lighthouse Ln
Fernandina Beach, FL 32034

Tour Location Below

215 O’Hagan Lane
Fernandina Bach Florida
904-310-3350
Hours Of Operation
Saturdays only 11:00 am – 2:00 pm.
Tours
The 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month.
Must register to attend.call 904-310-3350
Fees $5.00 per adult $3.00 per child under 12